Welcome to ToyLady’s 101 Things in 1001 Days!
from Day Zero
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of
1001 days as long as it takes.
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple goals such as New Year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organising and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.
So let’s get right to it, shall we? A bit of administrivia:
- As items are completed, they will be crossed out like so and the completed date will be inserted (in red) and, where applicable, a hyperlink to the blog post documenting the task will be included thusly.
- Items that have more than one part will list each part in a different color as the part is completed, and the main item will be crossed out when all bits are completed.
- Start Date: Sunday, September 28, 2008
- End Date:
Sunday, June 26, 2011 Wednesday, November 7, 2012It’ll be done when it’s done and you’ll like it.
So without further ado, I present my list of 101 things. Wish me luck, and feel free to add any comments or encouragement below!
About The Project Itself:
- 1. Write a letter to myself on Day 1 to be read on Day 1001 (09.28.08 ) Link
- 2. Photographically document/blog about each “thing,” wherever possible
- 3. Save $5 for each “Thing” completed, to be used for celebrating the end of the tasks
- 4. Donate $10 from the “$5 saved” for each “Thing” that is not completed to a charity to be determined.
On Homes and Castles and such:
- 5. New roof (08.20.2010) New hotness!
- 6. Remove carpet in dining room (03.18.09) The ripping of carpet!
- 7. Get the cat out of the basement (09.27.2010-ish) I guess this is as good as it’s going to get.
Remove carpet in living room(03.30.2011) Out with the old
- 9. Redecorate bathroom
Front walkway – step fixed; sidewalk installed(08.09.2011)
New window treatments downstairs(05.04.2011) So much better!
- 12. Organize recipes (03.18.09) Too many cookbooks!
- 13. Find shelving/cabinets for dining room
- 15. Paint master bedroom
- 16. Plant a flower garden in front yard
- 17. Learn how to change my own oil
- 18. Put up a clothesline (07.01.2010) The answer, my friend
- 19. Have a yard sale
- 20. Get quotes for an addition to house (08.20.2010) Maybe in a couple of years
- 21. Put a birdfeeder or a birdhouse in the yard
- 22. Sort through photos on computer – delete, print or store to CD
- 23. Update front entry
Clean out my desk(11.26.2012) Not really much to say other than it’s done. Finally.
- 25. Develop a going vegetable garden (05.27.09) Call me Mary.
- 26. New ceiling fan in dining room (09.09.10) Nice Labor Day Weekend project
- 27. Establish and maintain a compost pile (10.11.08 ) Read all about it!
Living a Healthy, Fit Life:
- 28. Create an exercise/fitness/workout area somewhere indoors
- 29. Get back in single-digit size
- 30. Have teeth straightened (08.12.2009) Loving that oatmeal!
- 31. Do 50 sit-ups at once
Complete the Couch-to-5K Plan(06.26.2012) Well I tried, anyway
- 33. Take a dance class
- 34. Have a facial. Or a massage. Or visit a spa. Something.
- 35. Take a martial arts class
Living to Eat:
- 36. Make croissants (01.03.2009) Excruciating Details!
- 37. Make bagels (11.10.2009) Sourdough no less!
- 38. Go on an honest-to-god picnic with a basket and everything
- 39. Try 10 things on the Omnivore’s 100 list that I’ve never tried
Make hot chocolate from scratch(08.10.2011)
- 41. Make fudge
- 42. Make fresh pasta
- 43. Try 3 new-to-me restaurants (07.31.2010)
- 44. Make one fabulous dish using saffron
Because the Learning Never Ends:
- 45. Create and print a cookbook
- 46. Talk to a financial planner/advisor
- 47. Tour a winery
- 48. Write and submit something for publication – somewhere
- 49. Go to the zoo
Read at least three of Time’s all-time best novels (that I haven’t read already)(03.16.2011) Some were better than others.
- 51. Take one community ed course
- 52. Learn to swim
- 53. Go to an art gallery
- 54. Learn the phonetic alphabet
- 55. Learn a new word starting with each letter of the alphabet
- 56. Acquire and learn to use MP3 player (12.25.2009) And I figured it out, too!
- 57. Read a book (or series of books) by an author I’ve never heard of (09.22.10) A new way to read
- 58. Take a visitor to a local attraction that I’ve never visited
Make and wear one item of clothing(08.10.11)
- 60. Take at least one photograph worthy of framing – then frame it
- 61. Take 4 seasonal pictures of the same place (02.09.2010) The Four Seasons
Do a 26 Things project(08.31.2011) so it was actually 30 things
Fun & Games:
- 63. See an IMAX movie
- 64. Go to a drive-in movie
Take a real vacation – at least a week!(11.30.2010) This is as good as it gets, I guess
- 66. Have a Dortmunder film festival
- 67. Go to a hockey game (01.28.2010) Hey, Hockey Puck!
- 68. Go to baseball game (07.18.2010) The Old Ball Game!
- 69. Make a snowman
- 70. Test drive a car I’ll never buy
- 71. Go to the circus
- 72. Attend the Renaissance Festival
- 73. Go bowling
Get DVD recorder(08.10.11)
- 75. Go on a weekend getaway. With the dog
- 76. Stay in a bed and breakfast
- 77. Pick an obscure holiday and celebrate it (09.24.2009) Yay Punctuation!
- 78. Go to an amusement park
- 79. Go miniature golfing
- 80. Make an advent calendar
Because We’re All Connected (Kind of Like on Heroes, But Without the Freaky Super Powers):
- 81. Get a haircut and donate hair to the cancer kids again (11.20.2008) Read about the shearing!
- 82. Get a passport
- 83. Host a holiday meal (07.04.2009) The festivities!
- 84. Give blood
- 85. Send flowers to someone for no reason
86. Buy Christmas gifts for needy child (Toys for Tots, etc.)(08.10.2011)
- 87. Participate in Post Crossing
- 88. Participate in Gimme Your Stuff (10.21.2009) Sent & Received!
- 89. Send someone a handwritten letter
- 90. Do something nice and unexpected for Surly Boy
- 91. Write a letter to the editor
- 92. Send a care package to a soldier
- 93. Write letters of appreciation – personal or business
- 94. Go see one local band perform
- 95. Go on a double date with another couple
And Just Because: